Friday, May 14, 2004

Thing 1:

I don't usually do this kind of thing. Really. But we like Ed in our house.

Go easy on that.
You will drink too much gin. Not the worst way to
die, but you won't remember too much of your
life. Hey, at least you made some people laugh!


What horrible Edward Gorey Death will you die?
brought to you by Quizilla


Thing 2

People make themselves up as they go along. I think that's great. I think authenticity is a highly overrated concept, like natural-ness. If it exists, it's natural. Becoming authentic just means importing somebody's else's aesthetic. By my own definition, however, people reinventing themselves as authentic are performing the same personality chore, and should be applauded. I just wish the word authentic would go out of use. It is so outside of human experience as to be stunting.

Thing 3

I'm a political ignoramus. I freely admit it. I know less about politics the more time goes on, and I generally prefer it that way.

That said: Yesterday on the news, CNN mentioned that the Bush administration is withholding more pictures of the Abu Ghraib abuse because publishing pictures of prisoners in humiliating poses is illegal according to the Geneva conventions. I personally think this is one of the sleazier evasions of the Bush administration. The conventions were drafted to hold countries accountable for their behavior, and the administration is using them to avoid accountability by withholding information from U.S. citizens.

No comments: