Friday, December 24, 2004

Yule be amazed

"I did it." Said Poppy. I'd just offered to help her get her shoe on after the heel slipped off, but no, she managed it herself.

She's been using I statements lately, and I hadn't realized what seemed so strange about it until just now. Mainly, that until the last few days, pronouns were not in her verbal artillery. She mixed them up regularly.

"I did it." Why, yes you did, sweetie.

Also, she can sing good chunks of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, You are my Sunshine, and Jingle Bells. In July, she only had three words of the Telletubbies theme song.

***

Yesterday, a lady came into the library looking for Pachelbel's Cannon (in D) by the Trans Siberian Orchestra. We didn't have it. She seemed surprised... I guess it's popular, of late. Today my mom brought up an album by them. A schlock opera called The Lost Christmas Eve.

It sounded like Meatloaf was singing a Danny Elfman score performed by the Manheim Steamrollers, accompanied by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. It was, like, full of great, throbbing Christmas Spirit. Several degrees of cheese, although I found myself thinking that if it was William Shatner singing, it might have just the right note of self parody to be fun. As it was, I kept thinking that Siegfried and Roy must train tigers for these guys. If there weren't tigers doing the Siegfried and Roy Hoochie Koochie in the stage show, there should have been.

Yes, its crass to make fun of stuff you don't like.

***

So, for Christmas Eve, Mom asked me to make meatloaf. This is what I did, this time:

2 Pkgs ground Turkey, pound and a quarter each.
2 4 oz. cans of Deviled ham.

Tot: 3 Lbs meat.

Eighth of a cup of Ketchup. Can opener was in the dishwasher, so I couldn't use tomato paste.
1 Tbsp Soy Sauce. 1 Tbsp Lea and Perrins.

Tot: Quarter cup of liquid?

One and a third cup of diced onion, two thirds of a cup of diced green pepper, 1 cup of stove top stuffing mix. I tried to mash it, but had already added it to the egg, so it didn't work very well.

Total: 3 cups filler.

Package of onion soup mix, couple shakes of black pepper. Leaving salt to soup mix and Soy Sauce.

I never make meatloaf the same way twice. What happens is I find a recipe anywhere: I have a book of recipes  but the backs of soup cans and the internet work just as well. Then I just make sure the amounts of meat, filler, and liquid are the same. Oh, and you need egg.

A elemental meatloaf recipe might look something like this:

For each pound of ground whatever, add 1 egg, 1+ Tbsp of Liquid that is not water, vinegar  or soda, and a cup of filler, some of which should probably be bread crumbs. Mix with ingredients at room temperature, 'cause your hands will get cold, otherwise. Grease the pan before you mix. I'm not good with cook times. I always follow the directions on the back of the can, there.

Meatloaf recipes are wildly different: I've seen all kinds of meat recommended, seen milk, ketchup, and Worchester sauce used, and all kind of vegetables and grains. The only thing that's always similar is that it always looks like brains when you're kneading it together in the pan.

I don't cook much, but I've made enough meatloaf to be a kind of meatloaf-savant. I'm thinking of working on crepes next.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Crepes and Meatloaf are on the opposite end of what is difficult to cook. Meatloaf is easy Crepes are hard. I like chocolate and bananna crepes.