Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Comic book and RPG collectors of the world, rejoice

Your collections are all incrementally more valuable.

If ever there was a week for blogging, this is it.

On Sunday night, I realized that our basement was flooding minutes before our game was started. So I had to send my gamers packing while Ruby canvassed the neighbors for a water vac and then out to Meijers to buy fans, since ours had died in storage. We got the basement dried, but not before two boxes of books, five or six boxes of comics and magazines, a couple of miscellaneous boxes, and a rolled up carpet got soaked through.

I am not a collector, certainly not a speculator. Sorting through the stuff that got wasted, I was a little surprised at the stuff I kept that I didn't much care about one way or the other. Still, losing my run of Dungeon will hurt. I could have scrounged for ideas in there. And some of the stuff I lost was stuff that I remember fondly, and will never be republished. Like the Warlock 5 series, that was just totally over the top goodness.

Then I spent all night throwing up. Hooray.

ON THE OTHER HAND:

Poppy's party went very well. Her presents include lots of new dinosaurs, a pokemon plush, some my pretty pony toys, and some games and puzzles that we can play together from her very thoughtful friends. She's having a great time with them, playing in a frenzy, and we both appreciate the new stimulation. The party itself was a blast. I love Montessori because it's taught her so much, and because she's met so many nice kids there.

THING THREE:

I downloaded and created the membership for the 10 day trial of the Dungeons and Dragons multiplayer. It took two days to download the updates, so by the time I started playing last night, I had eight days left. Can't argue with the price, though.

I have come to the conclusion, having tried three, that Massive Multiplayer games are all alike. They are fun as point and shoots or adventure games, but not really enthralling. By the time I finished Neverwinter Nights, I think I had decided that computer RPGs wouldn't ever be more than an occasional thing for me.

The story lines, structurally and inspirationally, are pretty much the same quality across the board. As a game, they are a bad value: ten bucks a month as opposed to fifty bucks for unlimited play is not good deal.

The real value in MMP games are: the look of the game, whether you want to spend time looking at it, and the potential to play with other people. That's kind of fun if you can do it.

I found City of Heroes was pretty friendly, World or Warcraft less so, and after four or six hours of playing DND, it seems like the community is more scarce than stand offish.

No comments: