Tuesday, June 03, 2008

If you count my writing group, I had nine meetings in three days last week, ranging from ten minutes to two plus hours. Woo-hoo. That's a pretty heavy load for an introvert. Then I got sick this weekend. I have been stuck indoors for 3 days. I am about to tear my hair out.

Ruby's been jonesing to play World of Warcraft as a sort of team sport. Last weekend, we upgraded her PC, bought two copies, and settled in to play a couple of times. We figure three or four hours once a week. I have Draeni Mage, she has a Draeni hunter. The Dreaeni are sort of new wave inflected space alien satyrs.

Ruby is having huge fun. I get a kick out of it. It's a little grindey in play style - kill, xp, kill, xp, kill, xp, bing! Level up! But it's nice to look at. It has a sort of a 3-D gonzo steampunk-manga look. With crashed spaceships. The blood elves look like psychotic hippie cheerleaders. A good milieu will go a long way towards making up for a lack of story I always say. I feel sorry for the writers on this game. The sheer amount of stuff they have to crank out to keep a bunch of players busy for a couple hours a week is nuts. I also get a kick out of mix-it-up style systems for crafting things, like from the Baldur's Gate games. Warcraft has that in spades.

Poppy is kind of taken with the game too. She picked up the controls pretty well, and lectures Ruby and I on keyboard shortcuts that she picks up from the other one.

She's had a conversation with the guy who came to give us a quote on our windows about their respective Warcraft characters.

She ran around in the coyote tail we found for her at last weekend's Ren Fest, with a Plastic sword jammed into the back of her halter top. It was a pure overload of geek cute for me. Very fierce.

She's even drawing Warcraft pictures. Her literalist interpretation includes the status badges in the upper left hand corner of the game screen, and drawing the top down maps of dungeons with the little dots representing monsters. Awwww!

No comments: